What are binaural beats? Have you heard of them? Is it a magical way to calm yourself or a useless stunt? Can they be dangerous or useful?
More and more people discover the benefits of binaural beats. spiritual enthusiasts use this brainwave sync-up technology to relax, meditate, gain clarity or conscious dreaming. What is the secret of binaural beats? It’s not so difficult.
They take effect when two slightly different sound waves are played through each headphone, and that “difference” in the length of the sound wave can change the condition of your brainwaves.
Binaural beats are an effective aid for conscious dreaming; they help achieve a deeply relaxed state of mind, which is so important.
Sounds great, doesn’t it?
This leads to a crucially important questions: Are binaural beats safe to apply? Are there any side effects?
Keep reading and you’re going to find out:
- Are binaural beats safe?
- Are binaural beats safe for children?
- What are the side effects of binaural beats?
- Can binaural beats damage your brain?
- What are the restrictions?
- Do binaural beats actually work?
- How to keep safe while listening to binaural beats?
- How to use binaural beats for conscious dreaming?
- Final questions and answers.
Are binaural beats safe?
That’s the first question that comes up among the majority of people after studying binaural beats. Before answering that question, it’s important to understand one thing: binaural beats won’t work without headphones. It has to do with the fact that certain sound waves must be played independently in each ear. So, if you want to use binaural beats, use headphones.
Now, let’s get back to the question at hand. Yes, binaural beats are safe for the most of people.
That said, you should consider this:
If you listening to something via headphones, you project the sound directly into your ears. It doesn’t matter whether you’re listening to binaural beats, music or podcasts, – it should never be too loud. The last thing you want to do is leave yourself deaf.
Are binaural beats safe for children?
Short answer: yes, they are. But in order to maintain maximum safety the experts suggest following a few simple instructions so that children could listen to binaural beats.
First of all, we are talking about children at the age of 0 to 12. The brainwave frequencies in this age range usually waver in alpha- and theta-cycles. That’s why listening to binaural beats of these frequencies should be safe for children. Besides, listening to these types of frequencies best of all fits children’s education and development.
Matching binaural beats frequencies with a natural state of a listener should help improve cognitive processing and maintain brain functioning. In addition to that, frequency matching should also help minimize children’s brainwaves natural pattern disruption allowing them to develop and grow as per usual. Keep in mind, however, that aforementioned suggestions are only advisory. As each child is an individual, I recommend to slowly incorporate binaural beats with short listening sessions. Watch the behavior of the child after each session during the lead-in phase and assess positive or negative effects of binaural beats.
Though binaural beats are generally safe for children, follow these instructions and don’t forget how this may influence your children.
What are the side effects of binaural beats?
When you take medication, you always want to know about side effects. Binaural beats have so much great benefits.
Therefore, it is only natural to raise a question about their negative or side effects.
There are no exact side effects detected during listening to binaural beats.
The only two things you need to know are:
Listening to any sound louder than 85 Db may lead to hearing loss. So, try to keep the volume buttons under control.
If there’s no way for you to measure decibels, try estimating the volume approximately. 85 Db is the noise generated by intensive traffic, give or take.
Epileptics should avoid binaural beats. We’ll get to that later. Truth is that it will take a lot more researching to conclusively prove any problems caused by binaural beats. None of the present researches indicated any side effects.
Can binaural beats damage your brain?
It is true that binaural beats can change your mental state.
When you project two different wavelengths into each ear, your brain spots the difference, and that results in “brainwave fascination”.
Does changing the state of your mind damage your brain?
There is no known proof of binaural beats damaging the brain whatsoever.
What are the restrictions?
Apart from volume limit there, are there any other recommendations when it comes to binaural beats?
A scientific research is necessary to us better understanding.
However, if you fall into one of the following categories, it is best for you to avoid binaural beats altogether (or at least consult with your doctor in advance):
- if you suffer from cramps. When you experience any change of brainwaves, it may increase the possibility of a fit.
- if you have any heart problems or you have a cardio stimulator.
- if you have any mental or psychological disorder.
- if you take tranquilizers.
- if you are a pregnant woman (it is assumed that binaural beats may stimulate labor).
- if you are driving a car or working with it, it’s better to avoid binaural beats as their relaxing nature may result in your losing concentration and increase the risk of accidents.
- again, if you have any doubts, consult with a qualified medic.
Just the fact that you are a healthy person who doesn’t fall into any of the aforementioned categories doesn’t mean that you should act without reason. Don’t overuse binaural beats (once or twice a day should be enough), and if you are experiencing headaches, take a break.
Do binaural beats actually work?
There are many statements according to which binaural beats may be useful for you. The best way to find out if they actually work is to try them out by yourself.
Try listening to some alpha-frequency binaural beats (find some free samples on-line). Use stereo headphones, lie down in a comfortable position and let yourself enter a relaxed state.
Alpha-waves are brainwave frequencies responsible for relaxation. Having listened to them for a few minutes ask yourself “How do you feel? Do you feel relaxed? Are binaural beats working for you?”
There also had been a few researches which proved that they work.
For instance, a research had been conducted among 8 adults, who listened to binaural beats for 60 days straight.
The participants filled out forms before and after.
The research showed that listening to binaural beats greatly resulted in reducing anxiety and improving general quality of like.
Another research had been conducted among hospital patients who were admitted to ED.
Some patients were given audio records with binaural beats whereas others weren’t.
Those who listened to binaural beats demonstrated much less anxiety that those received standard audio records.
How to keep safe while listening to binaural beats?
Generally speaking, listening to binaural beats is safe. But, as it is pointed out in this article, there are several things which should be taken into consideration in certain cases. Thus, be reasonable and don’t hurt your ears with too much volume while listening to binaural beats (or any other type of sound waves for that matter) which include significant sound impulses, which may potentially destroy your ears and you have nothing to worry about.
Apart from listening to delta- and theta-waves during rest and sleep continue listening to binaural beats for no more than 3 hours. In many cases the effect of binaural beats tend to decline after a few hours. That’s why it’s best to take a break before the next session.
Follow the instructions, which we shared with you, and you will experience great effect from binaural beats. The main point is to listen to binaural beats reasonably daily.
How to use binaural beats for conscious dreaming?
If you’ve never practiced (or even tried) conscious dreaming, then you should know something that is necessary for conscious dreaming.
Understanding (and practice) of reality checks as well as keeping dream diary is the basis that will lead you to conscious dreaming.
Now, what is the part of binaural beats in the grand scheme of things?
Binaural beats will help you reach the relaxed state of mind. They may have hypnotic, calming and entrancing effect, when you are still concentrated enough and fully control your thoughts.
Follow these instructions in order to use binaural beats for conscious dreaming:
- find a comfortable pose:
- lie down on a comfortable matrass or soft sofa – it’s really comfortable. Nothing must stand in the way of your body to reaching relaxation;
- start listening:
- listen to binaural beats exceptionally in headphones. The perfect way is to use delta-waves bianaural beats (between 4 and 8 Hz):
- it doesn’t matter whether you are concentrated on your breathing, sounds that you’re listening to or something else. Just make sure that your stress is disappearing into thin air when your mind and body relax:
- use visualization technique:
- after some time, you, I hope, will find yourself in an unbelievably relaxed, but still concentrated state. That means that even if you are deeply relaxed, you still hold power over your thoughts:
- now is the time to use visualization technique or use (by your choice) positive mantras. A good example would be “I’m aware of my dreams”:
- further technique of conscious dreaming:
- now, when you are all set, you can use the desired conscious dreaming technique such as WILD or DILD.
Binaural beats are universal and can be used when you go to sleep or wake up early during REM (rapid eye movement) sleep.
For instance, if you like using the WILD technique, you can start listening after you wake up.
Read some more of our articles on this topic!
Final questions and answers.
I’m new to binaural beats. How do I begin?
- Don’t try complicated binaural beats. Try soft tracks meant for beginners. Do this during the first week or two. Just give your brain some time to get used to the beats and gradually move to more advanced levels of brainwaves. Moreover, don’t be shy and check some free samples on-line.
Is it okay to put on too much volume?
- Too much volume won’t accelerate the process, and you won’t feel the effect of the beats faster. Thus, instead of risking hurting your ears set medium volume so that you can clearly hear but not risk a hearing injury.
How long is it necessary to listen to binaural beats?
- As it was said before, if you are new to this, don’t go crazy and listen to binaural beats for days without taking breaks. Even five hours straight is too much. The recommended time that we would advise is listening to binaural beats for no more than 60-90 minutes (at least in the beginning).
Now that we confirmed that binaural beats are safe to use for the majority of people, is there anything else that you need to know?
First of all, you should be in an appropriate mood for them to work.
If you are listening to alpha-waves binaural beats with relaxing music, but you’re nervous because of a yesterday’s quarrel or you’re not comfortably lying, them binaural beats won’t have the desired effect.
Also, if you want conscious dreams, don’t expect any miracles from binaural beats. Conscious dreaming usually takes some practice and patience.